Welcome Class of 2023, new Transfer Students and families!
In this section you will find relevant information for members of the Class of 2023 and new students.
How to Buy Books (Starting July 8)
Student schedules will be available in PowerSchool on July 8. The online Bookstore will open on that date as well.
- Look up your son’s schedule in PowerSchool.
- Visit Riordan’s Online Bookstore, and select “Shop Now.” Books in the Online Store will be listed by subject, then course name.
- When you are ready to check out, an account has been created for you. Please use your student’s Riordan email.
If you are having trouble logging onto the Bookstore or PowerSchool, email our PowerSchool Manager Mr. George Cockrell at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will assist with whatever information you need.
New Student Orientation / Back to School Dates
Tuesday, August 13: Freshman Retreat/Orientation
7:45 am – 2:30 pm
Check-in will take place in the Cafeteria
Attire: Regular Uniform
Transfer Student Orientation
12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Check-in will take place in the Theatre
Attire: Regular Uniform
Wednesday, August 14: House Orientation
Details about House placement and agenda for the day coming soon!
Thursday, August 15: First Day of Classes
Attire: Regular Uniform
Thursday, August 22: Back to School Night for Parents
How to Buy Uniforms (Online Prep Shop Opening Soon)
Uniforms and other Riordan apparel will be available in the coming weeks in Riordan’s new online Prep Shop. We will post the link when the site goes live. Thank you for your patience!
- Riordan embroidered polo shirt*
- Riordan sweatshirt* or jacket*
- Khaki pants
- Black/brown belt
- Casual or tennis shoes (must be clean)
Formal Dress Day Attire:
- Riordan Gray V-neck Sweater*
- White oxford shirt
- Riordan Tie*
- Khaki pants
- Black/brown belt
- Black/brown dress shoes
- Black/dark socks
- Shirt and shorts*
*Items must be purchased in Riordan’s online Prep Shop.
Khaki pants may be purchased at Old Navy, Gap, Simply Uniform, Dennis Uniform, Dockers, Lands End and other retailers. They must be well-fitted and in good condition (no holes). The following are NOT permitted: Khaki Jeans (i.e. Levis), Cargo Pants, Ben Davis, Dickies, Carhartt or other five-pocket pants.
PowerSchool and Technology
Please see the information that was mailed to you in May about how to set up student email accounts.
PowerSchool is Riordan’s information system for parents and students. You should have already set up a PowerSchool account when you registered. Starting in July, you will be able to view your son’s schedule.
If you have any questions or need help accessing your account, please email Riordan’s PowerSchool manager Mr. George Cockrell, email@example.com.
All students are required to have an iPad for the first day of classes. We recommend the iPad Air or above, the iPad Mini 3 or above or the iPad Pro. While the iPad Mini is an acceptable choice, it has a much smaller screen, which can reduce the impact of certain visually interactive apps in the sciences or the arts. Students pursuing digital media courses and extracurriculars may want the larger format screen with retina display, available on both the iPad Air and the iPad Pro.
The iPad needs to be running the latest iOS at all times. To update this on the iPad, go to Settings > General > Software Update. While you are able to get older versions of the iPad, please be aware that the iPad 1 is not an acceptable model as it cannot handle the processing speeds necessary for digital textbooks. Additional information about technology will be presented at Freshman/New Student Orientation on August 13.
Schoology is Riordan’s online classroom management platform utilized by teachers and students. Parents can also access Schoology. You will receive information about how to create a Schoology account when school starts in August.
For the 2019-2020 school year, student-athletes must register with SportsNet and upload a Medical Examination and Release Form before they can participate in athletics. Instructions for Registering Your Athlete Sportsnet inc. provides secure online registration services for high school athletic programs.
Below are instructions for creating a parent/guardian user account and registering one or more athletes at Riordan.
Creating an Account
1. Go to https://sportsnethost.com/riordanhs-parent
2. Click the Create an account link near the bottom of the screen
3. Enter the required information and submit the form
4. Log in to the system with your email address and password
5. Follow the instructions inside the system
Before You Begin
Make sure you have the following prior to attempting to register your child:
•Your child’s student identification number
•The exact spelling of your child’s first and last name as it appears in official school records
• A scanned copy of your child’s completed Medical Examination and Release Form on your computer (to be uploaded during registration)
• Your child’s active health insurance coverage information, including the name of the provider and the policy iD Registration Process
• Be sure to carefully read the instructions on each screen and provide all required information.
• If you are unable to finish in a single session, the information you have already submitted will be saved and you can log back in at a later time to finish.
Important: The school will not receive your submission until you complete the entire process, ending with your final electronic signature on the last available screen. Be sure to check your email for a confirmation message after you have finished.
• Please contact the athletic department directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need specific information about your child’s registration.
• For general assistance, please email the SportsNet support team at email@example.com.
Summer Camps and Programs
Riordan offers a number of recreational and academic camps for incoming freshmen. Register
Each year we ask new parents to join the Parent Pledge Program, a four-year commitment made by families. The true cost to educate a child is more than tuition alone. A gift to the Parent Pledge Program helps to bridge the gap between tuition and the actual cost of providing the Riordan experience to each student. The benefit of making a Parent Pledge Program gift instead of paying higher tuition is that this gift is tax deductible.
For more information about making a parent pledge, click here.
Thank you for your support of Riordan!
All students are required to read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and complete the Summer Reading Analysis Assignment that is due the first day of your Mentor Group meeting in August when school begins.
Summer Reading Assignment
Download instructions for the summer assignment and assessment here.
Where to Purchase Books
Summer reading books can be purchased through the following link on Riordan’s Virtual Bookstore or Amazon. You may also check out available copies from any of the branch libraries at the San Francisco Public Library. If you live outside of San Francisco, check your local library for available copies.
Incoming 9th graders are required to purchase a TI-84 Plus graphing calculator.
Note: Retailers such as Target and Best Buy often have great in-store deals for this type of calculator. Check advertisements in your local paper.
Campus Ministry / Community Service Requirement
Incoming Freshmen are required to activate their account to track service hours on www.x2vol.com by New Student Orientation on Tuesday, August 13. Account activation and student service hour submission instructions can be found in this Quick Guide
Service is a key component of the Riordan experience, and members of the Class of 2023 are required to complete a total of 25 service hours by the end of the 3rd quarter of the academic year, with a minimum of 15 SHED*. All hours are cumulative for transcript purposes, but all students must complete at least 25 hours every year. Read this story about senior Victor Anderson’s experience volunteering for Meals on Wheels.
For additional information visit please visit the Campus Ministry section of our website.
• *“SHED” refers to community service completed directly with those who are Sick, Homeless, Elderly, or Disabled through community agencies or in-school opportunities. These are communities that are sometimes under-served or forgotten, so it is our calling as a Catholic-Marianist school to put forth greater emphasis on supporting these communities. Given this community need, CCSl hours requirements can be met by completing more SHED service than Support service. Locations include: Soup Kitchens, Homeless Shelters, Food Pantry, Senior Care Homes and Community Centers, Physical Therapy Rehab Centers, events supporting a medical/social impact cause, sport camps and tutoring children with disabilities, etc.
• “Support” refers to service done through an agency that does not fall under the “SHED” category. This service is valuable to the community and provides personal growth for students. These services include helping a parish event, altar serving, working at the SPCA, beach clean up, tutoring, coaching, helping with school events on campus, etc.
General School Communications
The primary way that we communicate with our families is through email. If you haven’t submitted your contact information through PowerSchool or are not receiving emails from the school, please contact Director of Communications Ms. Victoria Terheyden, firstname.lastname@example.org or (415)586-8200 ext 266.
In addition to email, from time to time we also send text message alerts through a program called School Messenger. Per regulations, this is an opt-in system. If you have already received a School Messenger request, please follow the instructions to opt in.
BioUpdate and TADS
If you have not completed registration, the following steps are listed below.
Registration STEP 1: PowerSchool/BioUpdate
- Go to Riordan’s PowerSchool Page and select “Create Account.” This will allow you to create a Parent Account so that you can access your son’s PowerSchool information. Please make a note of the username and password you created. The Access ID and Access Password that will connect you to your son’s profile were included in the Admissions mailing.
- Once you have created your account, log back into PowerSchool by following the steps above. You will see your son’s profile page when you log back in.
- Select “BioUpdate” on lower left corner to complete registration.
Registration STEP 2: Complete Enrollment Agreement and Pay Registration Fee
You will receive an e-mail from TADS explaining how to pay the $1,000.00 registration fee and to set up tuition payments. Note, if your family applied for financial aid, information about the financial aid package and any other scholarships granted will also be in the email from TADS.